1. Seasonal hunger is predictable, can be understood and there are tested solutions
2. What happens during seasonal hunger and what happens in famine differs only in severity – Sequencing of coping remains largely the same
3. Moreover the link between them is causal: a chain of shocks leads to the erosion of resilience of a whole community, turning the “normal” seasonal hunger into a major catastrophe.
- Production failures
- Reduction of off-farm employment opportunities
- Action or inaction in the corridors of power Seasonality: father of all famine
- Famine can not be stopped unless seasonal hunger is stopped