Top of Ag Advisers – Global Partnership for Agriculture and Food Security (GPAF).
Top of the agenda: Global Partnership of Agriculture and Food Security
During the food price crises – Dfid asked: “What could we do about without spending too much money” – took it to the G8, etc. so the idea was created. At the same time, the UN set up the high level task force – GPAS would be setup to deliver the Comprehensive Framework for Action.
- The have CAADP and other African country buy in – struggled to get FAO and some Latin countries.
- During food price crisis senior DFID advisers were asking what do we do about it – GPAF? – developed with French, G8 Tokyo meeting endorsed
- High Level Task Force – Comprehensive Framework for Action
- HLTF agreed GPAF would be set up to initiative the CFA – launched at Madrid meeting in late Jan 09
- DFID Food Group now focusing on pushing ahead on GPAF
- New DFID ‘Food Group’
- Temporary group set up to address food crisis in July 08 – to run to Mar 09 – inform DFID policy
- DFID Development Committee is due to consider how the Food Group can move forward the food security agenda
- White Paper 4
- Focus of WP3 – Making Gov’t Work Better
- Focus of WP4 – Security – Food, Climate, Economic, Conflict
- Food Security – good for Food Group to set out agenda
- But… latest news, FS likely to be subsumed under Economic Security