6th International Conference of African Association of Agricultural Economists 2019, Abuja, Nigeria
“Rising to meet new challenges: Africa’s agricultural development beyond 2020 Vision” is the theme for the 6th African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE) triennial conference, which will take place on the 23-26th September 2019 at the Sheraton Hotel in Abuja, Nigeria.
The AAAE have stated that “the conference will explore the recent developments in agricultural systems across Africa. Key drivers of change include population growth, rapid urbanisation, productivity-enhancing innovation, climate change, the rise of agripreneurship, land reform, as well as policy and investment priorities by governments and development partners.”
APRA Nigeria and Ghana researchers will be involved in a session on: “Insights into Agricultural Commercialisation in Africa: New Research Evidence and Implications for Policy”. This session will highlight evidence on pathways into agricultural commercialisation in sub-Saharan Africa and include presentations based on APRA research on medium-scale farms in Nigeria and the development of cocoa in Ghana and Nigeria. Participants will include researchers, private sector practitioners, government workers, and students.
- Nigerian Association of Agricultural Economists (NAAE)
- Olajide O. Adeola, Department of Agricultural Economics, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- Prof Job Nmadu, President, Nigerian Association of Agricultural Economists
- Janice Olawoye/ Seun Olutayo, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
• Kojo Amanor, University of Ghana
APRA papers to be presented:
1. Medium-scale farming as a pathway into smallholder agricultural commercialisation: Evidence from Nigeria
Authors: Milu Muyanga, Adebayo Aromolaran, TS Jayne, Saweda Liverpool-Tasie, Thomas Jayne, Titus Awokuse
2. Livelihood Trajectories in Nigeria’s Cocoa Economy: Evidence from South-West Nigeria
Authors: Olajide O. Adeola, Kehinde Thomas, Seun Olutayo, Tayo Adeyemo and Tosin Oyedele
3. The History of Cocoa Commercialisation in Ghana
Authors: Kojo Amanor and Joseph Teye
Non-APRA papers: 3 papers will be selected from NAAE members
APRA publications can be found here.