There are two objectives of the FAC Malawi country work:
- Assisting the Malawi “policy community” in identifying and thinking about options
- Placing the Malawian experience in an international context, to contribute to the consortium objective of learning about the roles of agriculture in pro-poor growth
Some of the topics FAC is looking at as part of the Malawi country study include:
- Land: including land access, transfers and markets; commercial estate land – efficiency of use and possibilities for reform; HIV/AIDS crisis; incentives for investors; political economy of land; and legislative and policy changes
- Diversification: Recent growth of cassava – what are the dynamics and drivers; future of tobacco
- Technology: Issues of improving and maintaining technology for the key smallholder cash crops.